by: Jessica Zuckier
Its suffice to say that we all want to be healthy, keep fit, be a fabulous mom and look great while doing it. However it can be challenging, expensive and redundant to listen to the same advice over and over again. Eat less, exercise more, get more sleep and drink lots of water. All of this advice is true, but its not always enough. Sometimes we need a little help staying in balance. Not that I want to preach further about being healthy, or give us busy moms another item to check off on our To Do list. What I want to cover are the lesser known resources out there to stay healthy and feel good.
As the Clinic Director of Urban Foot & Wellness, a brand new multi-disciplinary wellness clinic located in Thornhill, Ive had the pleasure of learning about the effects of acupuncture, acupressure and holistic nutrition. As a new mom myself, its great to be informed about the marvellous treatments out there to reduce stress, alleviate pain, eat healthy, and look younger! Here are some amazing things to try for pre-natal, post-natal and every day care.
1. What is Acupuncture? Acupuncture is an alternative therapy that has been used for thousands of years to encourage the body to heal itself.This treatment is conducted by inserting disposable sterilized, hair-thin needles into specific points in the body where they are gently stimulated to trigger the bodys natural healing response. What is treats: Pain relief, stress, anxiety, improves sleep, boosts energy and immunity, headaches, migraines, PMS, menstrual and menopausal issues, infertility, digestive issues as well as weight loss and management.
2. What is Acupressure? Acupressure uses the acupuncture principles but instead of needles, it uses manual pressure to stimulate acupoints. Fingers, hands, knuckles and other body parts are used to apply pressure to the acupuncture points to affect the flow of Qi (energy) and circulation. What it treats: muscle tension, headaches, stress, morning sickness, menstrual cramps and overall well being.
3. How are Acupuncture & Acupressure used for Pre and Post-natal care? Acupuncture can help improve your chances of fertility byincreasing blood flow to the uterus resulting in an improved endometrial lining. It can also provide relaxation, release tension, balance moods and relieve symptoms associated with pregnancy such as morning sickness, sleep disorders, moods, nausea, headaches, cramps and muscular pains. For delivery, acupuncture can induce labour for late babies, relieve pain, ease labour pains and decrease labour time. For postnatal care,acupuncture can be used to stimulate the body’s the ability to heal faster after delivery, relieve stress, postnatal depression, muscular aches and pains and rebalance the body after giving birth.
4. What is Cosmetic Acupuncture and Facial Acupressure? Cosmetic acupuncture is a non-surgical painless procedure that reduces the signs of aging. It refreshes and lifts the face by using acupuncture needles that directs blood and energy flow to the face to increase circulation and nourish the skin and muscles. Acupressure facial massage is a natural facelift through massage instead of the use of needles. The result of both treatments are increased muscle tone, firmer facial tissues with healthy complexion and the minimized appearance of fine lines, blemishes and wrinkles.
5. What is Acupressure for Babies? Acupressure is a great form of bonding for the parent and baby. The sense of touch is a very powerful form of learning for the baby and is very well accepted by babies. It is beneficial for a variety of conditions: stress, sleep disorders, teething pain, digestive issues, congestion, pain relief etc.
6. How can Holistic Nutrition be used for pre and post-natal care? Holistic Nutrition brings balance to all areas of a persons life by observing dietary intake, supplements and lifestyle. For women, food plans can be created to prepare for pregnancy and enhancing fertility. This includes identifying foods that are best to eat during pregnancy, how to reduce food cravings, and ensure proper nutrients are eaten for proper development of baby. Postnatal diet plans can also be created for women who are breastfeeding, wish to increase energy levels, or strengthen and rebalance the body after giving birth.
7. What is Pregnancy Massage? Pregnancy massage is tailored specifically to the needs of pregnant women and their changing bodies. Therapists who are trained in prenatal massage adjust their techniques accordingly. The benefits of this treatment are: reduced swelling,decreased sciatic pain, eased muscular discomfort, elimination of toxins, increased oxygen to the blood plus it helps relieve anxiety and depression.
These are just a few amazing treatments that are available and are even covered under many extended benefits plans! In addition to the aforementioned treatments, Urban Foot & Wellness Clinic provides a variety of services such as foot care, custom orthotics, chiropractic and massage. To learn more, please visit us at www.urbanfootandwellness.com or contact us at 647-933-9011.
(located on the NW corner of Yonge & Clarke)