The holiday & post holiday time are synonymous with sweet treats that spike blood sugar, leaving our kids wired. The good news is that our little ones can still nosh on holiday goodies without the not-so-sweet side effects. Treat them with something healthier like these brownies. They are packed with protein and healthy fats to keep them satiated and have absolutely no added sugar. Similar to many of my recipes, this dessert is made with only 5 ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make. A bonus for any busy parent.
Health Tip: Sugar-laden sweets wreak havoc on our health. Research shows that sugar has the ability to suppress our immune function for up to 5 hours after consumption. So keep your family cold and flu free this season by opting for treats with as little refined sugar as possible – like this one!
Ingredients (servings 4-6)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (approx. 2-3)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter (or other nut/seed butter of choice)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Festive add ins: unsweetened shredded coconut, dried cranberries, crushed candy canes, chocolate chips, chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease inside 8-inch square baking dish or four ramekins with coconut or avocado oil.
- Melt the nut butter in sauce pan until softened.
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor. Once smooth, pour batter into ramekins or baking dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. When the top is dry, remove from the oven.