Total Time: 45 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12 to 16 Latkes
• 1 pound potatoes
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
• Accompaniments: sour cream, applesauce,
crème fraîche, smoked salmon, salmon roe,
dill sprigs and/or your favourite serving topping
1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
2. Peel potatoes and coarsely grate by hand. Transfer to a large bowl of cold water and soak for 1 to 2 minutes. Then, drain well.*
3. Spread grated potatoes and onion on a kitchen towel and roll up. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and stir in egg and salt.
4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a fork. Reduce heat to medium and cook until undersides are browned (about 5 minutes). Then, flip latkes over and cook about 5 minutes more. Transfer to paper towels and season with salt. Add oil to skillet as needed. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack in oven.
·Latkes can be made ahead of time. To reheat, place on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven for about 5 minutes.
*Grating the potatoes, soaking them briefly in water and then squeezing out the liquid keeps the batter from turning brown too quickly.