- Two frozen pie shells, thawed
- Three whole eggs, beaten
- Small onion (or two shallots), minced
- About ¼ lb. of shaved ham, chicken, or meat, diced
- About ½ cup of gruyere or cheddar cheese, shredded
- About ¾ cup of heavy cream
- About 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Set oven to 425F.
- Prick pie shells all over and bake for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Warm cream and tarragon in a small pot until just hot.
- Sautee onion in oil until just translucent, then add ham and cook until ham starts to show a bit of browning. Set aside.
- Slowly pour warm herbed cream into beaten eggs, to temper the eggs and create a custard.
- Add ham and onion, and cheese, to custard mix. Pour custard between two pie shells.
- Bake quiches for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden and custard looks set.
Minted Pea Soup (boil frozen peas until they are bright green, then remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency, adding ribbons of fresh mint and a splash of cream before serving).