This has been a beautiful summer so far and the only thing that can make it better are summer treats. Here are two of the sweetest (and healthiest!) treats to beat the summer heat!
Frozen Dark Chocolate Banana Pops
8 ounces of dark chocolate
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 just ripe bananas
8 popsicle sticks
Options for rolling: Chopped nuts or seeds, hemp or chia seeds, coconut flakes
1. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut bananas in half and insert popsicle sticks.
3. Melt chocolate in a double boiler, add vanilla, coconut oil, and stir well.
4. Place chopped nuts, hemp, chia seeds and coconut in a shallow bowl.
5. Dip bananas in the melted chocolate and then roll in the crushed nuts and seeds.
6. Place bananas on the lined cookie sheet and freeze for at least 1 hour.
7. Once frozen, wrap individually until ready to eat.
Refreshing ‘Raw’ Lemon Squares
1/2 cup walnuts
6 pitted dates
1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
Process all the ingredients in a food processor and press into a square baking dish.
3/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours and drained
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice zest from one lemon
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pour over crust.
2. Place in the freezer until firm. It is best to eat these frozen as with the warmer weather, the coconut oil will liquefy and you’ll have soggy lemon squares.