Hey Loves! I hope everyone is having a great week! We have all been there, our child is suffering from an aliment and we just can’t get to the store. The idea of packing up all the kids and taking a trip to the local drug store is overwhelmingly daunting. Well the good news is that there are a few things in your kitchen that can help you until you can get some backup and take the trip by yourself (fifteen minutes of alone time)! Unfortunately, there are also plenty of things in the kitchen that can be extremely dangerous and even life-threatening for your children. Today we are going to dissect your kitchen and give you the most helpful and hurtful things that exists in your space. Let’s get started!
Whenever dealing with medicine, I always like to start with the good news. There are tons of natural remedies in your kitchen for common pediatric illness and aliments.
White vinegar when added to rubbing alcohol in a one to one ratio (meaning the same amount of white vinegar and alcohol are combined together) helps prevent and treat swimmer’s ear.
I use this for myself all the time. Cider vinegar when applied to a sunburn will help with pain and take away the redness. Add one cup of cider vinegar to a bath to help balance the pH (acid or alkalinity) of sunburned skin and to promote healing.
Coconut oil along with red raspberry seed oil and carrot seed oil have natural SPF in them. This is a great option if the kids want to play outside and you dont have any sunblock. However, I would not advise this as an alternative to sunblock. If your child is spending the day out in the sun it is imperative that they wear a sunblock with zinc and proper clothing to protect from the sun.
Mix with water to make a paste to help soothe itchy skin, from maladies such as poison ivy or mosquito bites.
Crisco is actually a great treatment for ezcema and dry skin.
Whenever I am asked what is the best thing for cough I always recommend honey. Shown to soothe coughs, give a teaspoon of dark (buckwheat, for example) honey three times a day. Never give honey to a child under the age of one as it can cause infant botulism.
These are some of my favorite natural remedies for summer time illnesses! However, it is more important to address the dangers that exist in the kitchen. One of the most important things you can do to keep your child safe is to remove all cleaning supplies from an easily accessible area (under the sink). Make sure cleaning supplies are up and out of reach of small children or invest in cabinet locks. Today we are going to identify some of these more dangerous items in your kitchen.
Multivitamins (particularly ones that contain iron supplementation) also contain varying minerals such as zinc, calcium, iron, iodine, choline, etc. There is potential for harm if your child eats too many vitamins that contain iron. For children, iron overdose is a leading cause of poisoning-related injury and death.
Oven Cleaner / Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
Lye is a strong irritant that causes burns to both the skin and eyes. It will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed.
Dishwasher Detergent/Laundry Pods
I can’t stress enough how dangerous these are for children. Most products contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentrated. The laundry and detergent pods are extremely dangerous due to the high concentration contained in a small and easily accessible pod. If you haven’t invested in organic cleaning supplies, this is the time to do so. It significantly decreases the chance of your child ingesting poisonous material. Investing in organic cleaning supplies could save your child’s life. We love the dapple company and use them regularly in our households. They worked beautifully and have a great safety profile which is the most important thing.
It is a strong corrosive. It will irritate or burn the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. It may cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if ingested. WARNING: never mix bleach with ammonia as it may cause fumes which can be DEADLY.
Most drain cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid or trichloroethane. Lye is a caustic agent and can burn skin and eyes and if ingested will damage esophagus and stomach. Hydrochloric acid is a corrosive agent and has the potential to cause damage to skin, eyes, kidneys, liver and digestive tract. Trichloroethane can cause eye and skin irritation, nervous system depressant and possible damages liver and kidneys.
These are only a few of the products that can be life-threatening to you or your child. The poison control is a valuable resource. After calling 911, call poison control! I hope this helps with your journey. See you next week!