Our mother’s deserve our special attention every day of the year. Unfortunately, our busy lives get in the way and days go by when we forget to call, visit and show them how much we care. So, on Mother’s Day this year why not take an extra few minutes to make them something that they’ll remember? Here are 5 easy DIY ideas that will have mom feeling like a queen!
Mom’s couldn’t love anything more than a beautiful picture of her family. Rather than just developing roles of film, you can easily create a bunch of different picture tiles for her to hang around her home. This can also be a great craft to do as a family for Grandma.
- Different sized tiles from your local hardware store
- Small bottle of Modge Podge (or similar brand)
- Paint brush
- Print selected photos on a colour printer – make sure to size them per title measurements using a photo editor tool on your computer.
- Cut the printed photo, and paint Modge Podge on the backside as evenly as possible. Flip it over and place evenly on the tile. Take a heavy object, like a book, and pull it overtop of the tile in one direction to ensure the image sticks on well and has no air bubbles. Get rid of excess paper around the edges with scissors or a sandpaper block.
- Brush the Modge Podge over the top of the photo and along the sides of the tile to seal it all in. Let dry for 1-hour, and wrap them up with a big bow.
source | Crunchy Betty
natural body scrub
What woman doesn’t enjoy a lovely scented body scrub? Help her feel pampered with a homemade organic scrub infused with natural ingredients. Using salts, sugars and floral notes, mom’s skin will feel smooth and revitalized. Allow mom to relieve muscle pain and moisturize her skin with benefits found in a rosemary and lemon sea salt scrub.
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- dried mince rosemary leaves
- small mason jar with lid
- Mix oil, salt, and flowers together. Use more oil for desired consistency with a maximum of 1:2 (salt to oil) ratio. Try adding essential oil for stronger fragrance.
source | burton girls
Show mom your creative side by making a beautiful hand crafted piece for her to hang accessories. You can play with a variety of different colours to match your mom’s favourite palette.
- piece of driftwood or a branch
- masking tape
- paints & paintbrushes
- picture hangers
- screw-in hooks
- Start with clean, dry wood, and use tape to mask off stripes. Make sure to flatten the edges of the tape thoroughly so that no paint seeps underneath. Paint your first stripes and let them dry.
- Carefully remove the tape. Repeat the taping and painting process with varying colors and widths of stripes until you’re happy with the result.
- After all the stripes are dry, find the side of your wood that is the most flat, in order to lie against a wall. On this side, hammer in one or two picture hangers, depending on the length of wood and the weight of the objects that you’d like to hang on it.
- Decide where you’d like your hooks and screw them into the wood, using pliers if necessary.
source | lovely indeed
Spending a little quality time with mom is always sweet. So, get her ready for summer by treating her to an on-trend at-home manicure. Grab her favourite colours, and find an interesting pattern to paint on her nails. I personally think the heart mani in bright pinks is a great way to show your love.
- base coat
- 3 different colour polishes
- top coat
- reinforcements from your local office supply store
- Polish base coat on each nail and wait 2 minutes to dry.
- Polish first coat of colour – she can select which one she wants as the bottom shade. Let dry for 2-4 minutes.
- Tape 2 reinforcements side by side, overlapping one full side, so that the bottom shape will indent on the nail. Make a set for each nail, and place near the nail bed of each finger.
- Paint second colour of polish, and let dry for 2-4 minutes. When dry, remove reinforcements slowly and make new sets for each nail. Place midway down the nail, and pail the third colour of polish.
- Let dry for 2-4 minutes. Apply topcoat.
source | fashion diva design
Create a stunning pedestal stand for mom to use for all her baubles, keys or even soap. Go by your local flea market or antique shop and grab floral cups, gold-trimmed dishes and small accent pieces like a bird or floral paperweight. Balance the dish on top of the cup and the accent item on top of the dish, and superglue them all together. That’s it! So simple.
source | Martha Stewart