WOW! Talk about mac and cheese. This recipe is honestly amazing, and can become addicting. Obviously dairy and egg free as it’s vegan! Keeping it healthy, I recommend a gluten free pasta, brown rice pasta or kamut. However, choose what works best for you.
What You Need
- 1-1/4 C raw cashews
- 1/2 C nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 to 2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 3-1/2 C nondairy milk
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1/4 C light (yellow or white) miso
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- You may add a pinch of turmeric to get the yellow look.
What You Do
- Add cashews to a food processor
- Finely grind the cashews but don’t let them turn in to a paste.
- Add the nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, and white pepper. Pulse to blend in the spices
- In a saucepan, combine milk, cornstarch and oil.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Decrease heat to low-medium, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, or until cornstarch dissolves.
- Add the milk mixture to the cashew mixture and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the lemon juice
- Pour the sauce over your cooked pasta
*You can also bake it in the oven for a crispy browned version. Preheat oven to 325 and place macaroni mixture in a 9″x13″ dish. Cover and bake 20 minutes. You can uncover and sprinkle with your own breadcrumbs and continue baking, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes until topping is golden brown.